The article I made the link to is about a family who had the Latin words "Et si omnes ego non" above an archway in their house. The words translate to "even if all, not I". The article explains the meaning behind the words, but it is easily understood as "Just because everyone else is doing it, doesn't mean I will". I love the saying as a family motto and would like to paint it in our house. I would like the girls to grow up knowing that we have high expectations of each other to not give into peer pressure if we don't feel it is the right thing to do.
Oh, and the picture is just the cover of the magazine that the article was in (BYU Magazine).
"Et si omnes ego non"
Barb and I were talking recently about how we both like the look of words painted on walls in homes. I recently came across this article online and found it so inspirational. I would like to paint in somewhere in the house that the girls would see often and come to know as our family motto. I can't think of a better one for young children growing up in the world today.
2 comments:
I figured it out! And I love the idea. It made me think of something similar my uncle did that I always liked. He put up a large white board in their home and it was devoted to quotes family members found that they wanted to share with the rest of the family. They had funny quotes from the Simpsons about working out family problems mixed with more character-building quotes. His kids were jr. high to high school aged - I thought it was a great idea. But to choose a family motto that the girls will grow up with- that's fantastic. And the one you found is perfect as it's something we're all faced with.
Cant imagine who told you it didnt make any sense!! hehehe
Post a Comment