Friday, October 15, 2010

Beautiful pumpkins

We recently made our annual trip to
the Great Pumpkin Patch
in Arthur, Ill. I don't know what it is about that place, ok, I do, it's the pumpkins, I love it! It's really an amazing place.

On Tuesday, Mac Condill, production manager and resident horticulturalist at The Great Pumpkin Patch was on the Martha Stewart Show, and now I have to go back to buy some of their seeds! He had some great stories about how they found some of the very rare varieties (they have over 400) from all over the world that they grow and sell. He really cares about saving heirloom varieties. He said that 97% of our varieties of vegetables that were grown in 1900 are extinct! It's amazing to think of what we are missing out on. I don't want my kids to miss out on even more.

You can see what seeds they sell online
here
.

"Fairytale" is definitely my favorite!

I have to tell you the story about the "Survivor" pumpkin was the most interesting. He got the seeds from a man in Indiana who told him they saved by someone during the Holocaust. They are definitely on my list of seeds I need now.

I didn't have time to take nearly all of the pictures I wanted to, but here are some. I hope they are of interest to someone out there!
P.S. I will post pictures of the kids there soon!


























2 comments:

Brian and Melissa said...

Wow, this really does look like a cool place!! Brian and I both love the Yugoslavian Fingers (great shape),Essex Hybrid Squash (for it's redish orange color) and the Fairytale (looks like the mini jacks you can get that fit in your hand, but giant!). We actually saw some "ugly" Galeux d'Eysines last weekend, but they were called Peanut Pumpkins here b/c it looks like its covered in peanut shells. Thanks for sharing these - what a fun place and great that the variety is based on keeping those heirloom varieties around. How many did you take home? :)

M&B

Brian and Melissa said...

P.S. The Great Pumpkin Patch's website is SO CUTE!! If the place itself is half as cute as the website than I'm sure it's fun!

M